Bhubaneswar: At least 20 shops were reduced to ashes in a major fire that broke out in the busy Unit-I market here on late Monday night. While the reason of fire is yet to be ascertained, locals suspect it occured owing to short circuit.
Most of the shopkeepers were not present in their shops as the market remained closed on Monday. Noticing the flame, local residents informed the fire brigade immediately which arrived the spot half an hour late and swung into action to douse the flame.
The fire fighters toiled hard to contain the blaze as the narrow lanes of the market prevented the fire station vehicles to enter the market area. Six fire brigade teams, who were pressed into service, took at least three hours to bring the flame under control.
On being informed, the shopkeepers rushed to their business place at night and shifted all articles to safety before the inferno engulfed to more areas. However, no casualties or injuries are reported due to mishap.