Cuttack: A fire broke out today evening at Acharya Harihar Regional Cancer Research Centre in Cuttack. The incident occurred on the third floor, the female ward of the hospital. Though all the patients were evacuated from the floor as well as the whole hospital building one 12-year-old patient died during the evacuation process.
The fire broke out in the store room in the third floor of its new building at around 5 pm, said hospital sources.
The boy, who died while being evacuated along with 79 other patients has been identified as Samuel Behera Talcher.
“The boy died during shifting and not in fire,” the administrative officer of the hospital Prashant Mishra said .
Notably, the building, which was inaugurated six months ago, also houses the operation theatre.
At least four fire engines were pressed into service and the flames were brought under control within 30 minutes, fire brigade sources said.
Electrical short-circuit could be the reason behind the fire, they said.
District collector N C Mishra rushed to the spot and supervised the evacuation of patients and continuation of their treatment at a makeshift ward.