Odia couple dies of asphyxiation in J&K, another hospitalised

Kendrapara: An Odia couple, who went to Jammu and Kashmir to appear in Bachelor of Education (B Ed.) examination, died of asphyxiation on Friday in Bandipura area of Kashmir valley following emission of carbon monoxide from the room fire furnace.

According sources, another couple, who were staying in the same room were hospitalised and are in critical condition. All four were from Odisha’s Kendrapara district.

Shyam Madhab Mishra (43) and his spouse Nibedita Mishra, from Madhyakhandi village within limits of rural police station of Kendrapara district, were found dead inside the house. They had taken the house on rent from a local resident.

The other couple Narayan Pujhari (47) and Sagarika Rath from Nial village within limits of Aul police station, are battling for their lives in Sher-i-Kashmir Medical College and Hospital in Sringar, said Kendrapara sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) Kedarnath Sahu quoting Washir Ahmed, an Assistant Sub Inspector of Police at Bandipura police station in Kashmir.

The inquiry conducted by the Bandipura police has found that they died of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide emission, Sahu said.

The room fireplace which is used in the valley for keeping the living room warm and comfortable in adverse winter months is generally extinguished with rise in room temperature.

Also read: 2 die of asphyxiation after inhaling generator fumes

However, these couples from Odisha who were not acquainted with the system kept the fireplace burning, leading to emission of deadly carbon monoxide gas, he said.

Two couples were supposed to appear for B Ed examination in All Noor College in Bandipura. The examination was scheduled to commence on January 24, the Bandipura police informed the Odisha police.