Woman dead, three others injured in gas cylinder explosion

Bhubaneswar: In an unfortunate incident, a woman was killed and three others were injured after a cooking gas cylinder exploded at OUAT colony here around noon today.

Chandramani Nayak, an employee in the State run Agriculture varsity, was injured while his wife died on the spot. Nayak’s son-in-law and a neighbour sustained critical burn injuries and were admitted to a private hospital.

The nine-year old daughter of Nayak, who escaped the accident narrowly, said ran out after seeing fire in the kitchen.

Nneighbours, meanwhile, informed the fire tenders after they saw smoke billowing out of the house.

Fire officials entered the room only to find the body of woman lying in a semi-burnt condition. They rescued Chandramani and his son-in-law, who sustained severe burns in leg. Nayak’s mother escaped as she was in another room during the mishap, the fire officials said.