Elephant electrocuted in Athagarh

Cuttack: A female elephant died of electrocution in Kakhadi village under Athagarh forest division in the district on Saturday night. The carcass of the elephant was found lying in a paddy field near the village on Sunday.

The incident took place late Saturday night when a herd of elephants entered the paddy filed and one of them came in contact with a live wire.

Forest officials suspected the age of the dead jumbo is 25 to 30 years. On being informed, Athagarh DFO and electricity department officials rushed to spot and started investigation.