100 students taken ill due to food-poisoning


Cuttack: As many as 100 students, studying in Rahangula Ashram School in Athagarh sub-division of the district, took ill yesterday due to suspected food-poisoning.

According to sources, the students were given primary treatment at the local hospital. But 32 of them had to be shifted to Athagarh sub-divisional hospital after their condition worsened.

The victims are suffering from diarrhea, vomiting and fever, the sources added.

Though the exact reason behind the sudden illness is yet to be ascertained, preliminary investigations show that it could have happened due to food-poisoning, said doctors in attendance.

Meanwhile, a medical team along with Cuttack ADM, Athagarh sub-collector and Health officials rushed to the school to assess the situation. The team is collecting blood samples of the affected students and keeping a close watch on the situation, the sources said.

Notably, 435 students are studying in the school while 326 of them are living in the hostel of the school.

You might also like