Nayagarh crackers factory blast: death toll rises to six

Nayagarh: The number of deaths in the Nayagarh crackers factory blast reached six today as four more persons succumbed to their injuries while undergoing treatment at the SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack.

Expressing grief over the incident, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik declared Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia, each, to the families of the deceased persons. He also announced that the State Government would bear all medical expenses of the injured persons and wished for their quick recovery.

Notably, two persons were killed and 13 were injured in an explosion in a cracker factory in Tantisahi of Itamati in Nayagarh yesterday. While one of the deceased identified as Arta Sahu died on the spot another Yogendra Muduli died at Cuttack SCB hospital.

Till last reports came in, the condition of the six persons undergoing treatment at SCB, is stated to be critical.
RDC AB Ota also visited the injured today. “Condition of three out of six are not so bad.They may survive. But, other three, who have sustained 100 per cent burns, are undergoing treatment. Their condition is stated to be critical”, Ota said.

Law minister Arun Sahu and MLA Prabhat Biswal had met the injured persons at the government-run hospital Yesterday.

According to sources, the cracker factory suddenly caught fire which led to an explosion at around 5PM in the evening yesterday. The reasons behind the fire are yet to be established.

Meanwhile, police arrested the owner of the cracker factory-Dhaneswar Sahoo. He said the factory caught fire due to lightning.

Nayagarh SP Kanwar Bishal Singh visited the spot for investigation.

“It was a huge and deadly explosion. Most of the victims are severely injured as the intensity of blast was quite high. We don’t know what are the reasons behind the explosion,” said a local resident.

Also read: Crackers factory blast in Bolangir

“We have no clue how the explosion occurred. Soon after the explosion we rescued the victims and brought them to the hospital,” said Itamati Sarpanch Manoj Sahoo.

Police rushed to the spot and started investigation into the accident.