Couple critical after wife’s saree catches fire

Kalahandi: A couple was severely burnt after the wife’s saree accidentally caught fire while cooking in Patangapadar village under Narla police limits of the district Monday night.

According to sources, the incident took place when the woman, Sabitra Chatria was cooking in the kitchen yesterday. Suddenly her husband, Debaraj Chatria heard her screams following which he rushed into the kitchen to see her saree on fire.

He entered the kitchen in a bid to save her, but in the process his own clothes caught fire, sources said.

Following the incident, the two, sustaining severe burn injuries were rushed to Narla hospital for preliminary treatment, from where they were shifted to Kalahandi District Headquarters Hospital (DHH) because of the extent of the burns. However, late night they were again referred to Burla Medical after their condition deteriorated.

Meanwhile, Narla police has registered a case and initiated an investigation into the incident.