Rs 10 cr of assets gutted in fire at AIR FM in Cuttack

Cuttack: In a major fire that broke out at the FM station of All India Radio (AIR), Cuttack at Tulasipur on Tuesday morning, the transmission facility of three private FM channels was disrupted.

According to reports, the transmission facility of Radio Choklate, a private FM channel, was completely destroyed after a major fire broke out due to short circuit at around 11.40 am.

Following this, the fire spread to other FM stations like Red FM and AIR FM severely hitting transmission services of these stations, reports added.

“We got to know the incident at around 12.15pm and immediately rushed to the spot but after reaching there we were not able to enter into the building due to heavy smoke coming out of two doors. As it is an electric short circuit fire, we asked a team from Cuttack fire station along with Breathing Apparatus (BA) sets to douse the fire,” said Krupasindhu Dhala, a fire fighting official of CDA fire station.

Speaking on the mishap, Red FM official Tarun Kumar Roy said the fire broke out after a blast of transmission battery at Radio Chocolate station and then spread to other FM stations. Transmission service of all three FM stations had been disrupted due to the fire at Radio Chocolate which has been badly damaged as fire broke out form their station.

“We are trying our best to start the service by tomorrow,” Roy said.

On being informed, fire brigade officials from Cuttack Development Authority (CDA) and a team from Cuttack fire station rushed to the spot and doused the fire.

Though the extent of loss is yet to be ascertained, it is estimated that properties worth more than Rs 10 crore have been damaged in the mishap.

}