Gajbhiye’s suspension extended by another six months

Bhubaneswar: The suspension duration of the controversial IPS officer and former Kendrapara SP Satish Gajbhiye against whom violation of human rights and police excess charges were levelled, has been extended by six months.

The decision was taken basing on the meeting convened under the chairmanship of chief secretary last week, sources said. The meeting was attended by secretaries of Home and General Administration departments.

It was widely reported in media last week that State government might not reverse the suspension order since draft charges have been framed against the top officer.

Last month the Centre confirmed the suspension of Gajbhiye as per All India Services Rules after which draft charges have been framed against him.

Official sources said the 2002-batch IPS officer, who has been served the draft charges through the Director General of Police (DGP), will have to respond within 30 days.

The action came against him for alleged violation of human rights during the brutal lathicharge on protestors by police led by him, which has been captured on camera by different media. The protestors were demanding arrest of self-styled godman Sarathi Baba alias Santosh Raula in Kendrapara town.

Gajbhiye was placed under suspension on August 13, six days after the brutal police action against the locals in Kendrapara on August 7.