Indian Railways is third largest rail network in the world as it carries millions of passengers everyday throughout the country. As most of the people forget about the safety during their journey, here we have a few things to remind that will ensure the travellers reach their destination safely.
NOTE: Harassing women passengers is a punishable offence. Obscene remarks like teasing, touching, stares, gestures, songs and unwanted attention are all forms of sexual violence, punishable by up to two years or a fine under section 354 A, 509 and 294 of the Indian Penal Code and section 145 and 162 of the Railways Act.
To register a complaint, contact the TTE or RPF on the train, lodge an FIR at the GRP post on Platform 1 at any station as Indian Railways is committed to the safety of women passengers.
- It is dangerous to entrain, detrain, to keep doors open or to lean out of the window when the train is in motion. Please avoid and prevent foot board travel. Please travel light and book heavy/bulky luggage in brake van.
- Please discourage beggars and unauthorised vendors.
- Please prevent damage and theft of fittings, these are national properties.
- Please record complaints, if any, with the guards/train supdt./conductor/station master, they have complaint book.
- Report any unidentified/unattended baggage to the railway official /staff
- Passengers can fill up 'FIR forms, available with train staff (guard, TTE & RPF etc), in case of theft, robbery and dacoity etc and hand over the same to them for onward transmission to government railway police.
- Travel only with proper ticket and show it to authorised railway personnel on demand.
- Penalty for ticketless / irregular -ravel is fine up to Rs 1000/- or imprisonment up to 6 months or both.
- Secure your luggage with the rings or wire ropes provided below the seat as passengers themselves are responsible for security of their luggage.
- Please switch off fans & lights if not required.
- Please keep surroundings clean & do not spit in the coach, and do not use transistor or radio without earphone.
- Please secure doors & windows properly, particularly at night.
- Consumption of alcoholic drinks prohibited.
- Please do not disturb fellow passengers.
- Please do not occupy berth/seat reserved for somebody else
Guidelines during emergency:
Pull the chain to stop the train. In case of fire, use fire extinguisher available with attendant. Use emergency window to escape; to exit from the emergency window follow the instructions given on the window and exit.
If hammer is provided then, break glass of hammer box, pick up the hammer and break window glass unit and exit. In general coaches, emergency exit windows are painted red, while in AC coaches, emergency exit windows are marked "emergency window".