Devbrat Patnaik

Mayurbhanj: Amidst outrage after the assault on the superintendent of Baripada PRM Medical College & Hospital over alleged medical negligence, the police swung into action and arrested four persons in this connection.

A minor girl from Syamakhunta block in Mayurbhanj was admitted to the hospital on October 30 reportedly for treatment of sickle cell anemia. However, after her death at the hospital, her family members which included some women manhandled the medical superintendent alleging negligence on part of the health staff and on-duty doctors.

Following the incident, a delegation of senior doctors including Dr Biswajit Sahu, Dr Nirmal Chandra Mohapatra, Dr Tanmoy Mohanty, Dr Asutosh Mohapatra met DGP on Tuesday and expressed their anguish on assault of Dr BN Mohapatra, the superintendent of PRMC, Baripada. They also demanded exemplary action against the persons involved in attacking the superintendent.

Police immediately registered a case and arrested four persons. Mayurbhanj SP informed, "In connection with the assault on Medical Superintendent of Mayurbhanj, a case has been registered and 4 persons have been arrested. Such acts of assault on medical fraternity will not be tolerated and strong action will be taken against perpetrators."

DGP Abhay assured the doctors of deterrent action in this case. "I talked to Dr BN Mohapatra and informed him about our efforts in this case leading to the arrest of four persons. We are committed to the safety and protection of all doctors and stringent action against those who take law in their hands."

The DGP further assured them that both preventive and punitive measures will be strengthened by police relating to such incidents.

Palpable tension prevailed at the Baripada PRM Medical College & Hospital yesterday when the family of the deceased girl along with a few locals staged a dharna by placing her body in front of the hospital gate. They also manhandled the superintendent, the video of which has gone viral triggering protest by the medical fraternity.

“My daughter is a sickle cell patient and she needs frequent blood transfusions. This has been the case for us for many years. I have admitted her to the hospital many a time and most of the staff are aware of her disease and blood requirement. The last time she was admitted was in March earlier this year. After 8 months. I got her admitted for a blood transfusion but the staff could not arrange blood. My repeated requests fell on deaf ears as none listened or helped me in the matter. I told them to submit the report so that I could take help of others, but they denied citing that they cannot give the reports in absence of a doctor,” said the father of the minor girl.

"She had a fever for the last 4 days and we had prescribed medicines too. Our staff were repeatedly checking her condition, but she died due to convulsions," said a doctor who was on duty.

The Superintendent informed that the girl's condition was very critical when she was admitted to the hospital. "Only God could have saved her, we did not have much time to act," he said.