Soumya Prakash Pradhan

The minimum wage law in India is a basic labour protection that ensures workers receive a fair and livable wage for their work.

Unfortunately, not all employers abide by this law, and many workers are underpaid or denied overtime compensation.

If you are in such a situation, you can take action to report your employer's violation of the minimum wage law. 

Locate your state labour office:

If you are not being paid the minimum wage or overtime compensation, the first step is to approach your state's labour office and file a complaint. You can easily locate your state's labour office by doing a quick online search.

Some states even accept complaints online, making it even easier for you to file a complaint. By approaching your state's labour office, you can ensure that your employer is held accountable for their actions, and you can receive the wages you are entitled to.

Factors that determine minimum wages:

The minimum wage law is based on four factors: skill level, occupation, industry, and zone. For instance, if we take the example of Odisha, the minimum wage rate differs based on zones. If you consider Bhubaneswar, the wage rate is higher, but if you consider Angul, the wage rate is relatively low. 

Similarly, urban areas have a higher wage rate compared to rural areas. If you want to know your state's minimum wages, you can simply search "Odisha minimum wages notifications" on Google. The first result will provide you with detailed information about daily and monthly minimum wage rates in your state.

File online at PG portal:

If you come across any government site that pays very low wages, you can file a complaint online at PG Portal. This portal is designed to address public grievances and ensure the timely resolution of complaints.

By filing a complaint on this portal, you can rest assured that your complaint will be taken seriously, and the necessary action will be taken accordingly.