If you're an iPhone user, you'll be happy to hear that Apple has recently released an update to iOS 16.4.
This new update brings a plethora of new features, changes, bug fixes and more to your iPhone, including the Voice Isolation feature.
Previously, this feature was only available for FaceTime and selected third-party apps, but now it's available for cellular calls as well.
The Voice Isolation feature is specifically designed to focus on voice and suppress background noise to give you a better calling experience, particularly in noisy environments.
If you're interested in trying out this feature, here's a simple guide below on how to enable it on your iPhone running iOS 16.4 or newer.
Before we get started, there are a couple of things you need to have:
- An iPhone running iOS 16.4 or newer
- An active SIM with calling feature
- Updating your iPhone to iOS 16.4
The first step to enabling the Voice Isolation feature on your iPhone is to make sure you're running iOS 16.4 or newer.
Below are the steps to verify and upgrade your iPhone:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on General, then scroll down and select Software Update.
- If an updated version is accessible, click on Download and Install. Allow the updating procedure to finish.
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your phone before proceeding with the update process, and ensure you have enough battery and storage space.
Enabling Voice Isolation for Cellular Calls on iPhone
Now that you're running iOS 16.4 or newer, here's how you can enable the Voice Isolation feature for cellular calls on your iPhone:
- Here open the Phone application on your iPhone.
- Make a call to someone.
- Once on the call, swipe down from the top right corner of the screen (on iPhones with no Touch ID) or swipe up from the button (on iPhones with Touch ID) to access the Control Center.
- Tap on the Mic option, then choose the Voice Isolation option.
With the Voice Isolation feature enabled, your iPhone will automatically prioritize voice over ambient sound.
In case you desire to deactivate this function, just perform the aforementioned steps and select the Standard option instead of Voice Isolation.