Sydney man arrested for making threatening calls to mosque
Sydney: The Australian police had to contend with a number of “hate and bias” crimes including threat calls to mosques in the aftermath of the fatal siege of a cafe here earlier this week by an Iranian refugee that left three people dead.
“There has been some issues of hate or bias crime but it’s certainly minimal compared to the outpouring of support,” Assistant Commissioner Michael Fuller said.
The Commissioner further said that extra officers were being stationed across Sydney to ensure people felt safe.
“There would be hundreds of extra officers working 24/7 under an operation named Hammerhead,” Fuller said.
The announcement of additional officers came even as police today arrested a man who allegedly made threatening calls to a mosque in Auburn in western Sydney.
Police allege the man, 30, rang the mosque and made several threats, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
He was arrested and later charged with threatening to destroy property, using a carriage service to make a hoax threat and to threaten serious harm and offend.
The man has been granted strict conditional bail, but he was expected to appear before the court on January 21.
Three people including the gunman, identified as an Iranian-born ISIS symphatiser ‘Man Haron Monis’, had died in the seige of Lindt Chocolate cafe in Martin Place earlier this week.