Five new faces in cabinet, one elevated
The six ministers were administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor M C Bhandare at the Raj Bhavan here.
Lal Bihari Himirika, who quit as Deputy Speaker as part of the reshuffle exercise, was sworn in as cabinet minister.
MLA Pradip Maharathy, representing the Pipili seat and former Assembly Speaker Maheswar Mohanty, a legislator from Puri, were among the new entrants.
Also sworn in were MLAs Usha Devi and Niranjan Pujari.
Anjali Behera, who was minister of state (independent charge) for textiles and handlooms, was elevated to cabinet rank.
In the run up to the reshuffle, agriculture minister Damodar Rout, sports minister Prabin Kumar Bhanj Deo and SC/ST minister Bijay Ranjan Singh Bariha resigned on the instruction of Patnaik.
With today`s exercise, the ruling BJD government now has 22 ministers including the chief minister.
Portfolios after reshuffle:
- Naveen Patnaik: Home, General Administration, Water Resources.
- Prafulla Ghadai: Finance, Public Enterprises.
- Anang Uday Singh Deo: Excise, Planning and Co-ordination
- Surya Narayan Patro: Revenue, Information & Public Relaions
- Debi Prasad Mishra: Forests and Environment
- Prafulla Samal: Tourism, Culture and Co-operative
- Sarada Nayak: Housing and Urban Development
- Ramesh Majhi: Information Technology, Fisheries
- Sanjib Sahu: Commerce and Transport
- Pratap Jena: School and Mass Education
- Atanu Sabyasachi Nayak: Energy
- Raghunath Mohanty: Industries, Steel and Mines, Parliamentary Affairs
- Prasanna Acharya: Health & Family Welfare, Public Grievances & Pension Administration
- Bikaram Arukh: Rural Development, Law
- Badri Narayan Patra: Higher Education, Sports and Youth Affairs
- Puspendra Singh Deo: Labour and Employment
- Usha Devi: Textiles and Handloom, Science and Technology (Elevated to Cabinet rank)
- Maheswar Mohanty: Panchayati Raj (New)
- Anjali Behera: Child and Women Development (New)
- Niranjan Pujari: Food Supplies & Consumer Welfare (New)
- Lal Bihari Himirika: SC & ST Development (New)
- Pradeep Maharathi: Agriculture (New)