14 children fall ill by inhaling gas emitted from generator

Berhampur: At least 14 students of a state-run residential school at Mohana in Gajapati district fell ill after inhaling gas emitted from a generator.
 
Official sources said the children, students from standards four to nine of the school run by the department of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe, were admitted to MKCG Medical College and Hospital here on Friday and their condition was improving.
 
The generator was used on for the lights and fans of the hostel as there was no power supply in the area after Cyclone Phailin. It had been switched on in the room in which the children were sleeping and the door had been closed, the children and hostel attendants on condition of anaonymity.
 
Hospital superintendent A K Behera said today the students would be discharged very soon.
 
Three persons died under similar condition in cylone and flood-hit Ganjam district. A one-year-old baby and her mother in Berhampur town died after inhaling the generator gas on Wednesday. Another person from Kodala had also died under similar condition.
 
Generators are being used in Ganjam as around 80 per cent of its area has been without power since the day Cyclone Phailin struck on October 12. Several areas of adjoining Kandhamal and Gajapati are also in dark since then.