Soumya Prakash Pradhan

The Indian Income Tax Department has extended the deadline for linking PAN (Permanent Account Number) with Aadhaar until June 30, 2023.

However, many individuals have reported facing difficulties with the PAN-Aadhaar linking process, particularly when their Aadhaar is already linked with the wrong PAN number.

Here’s how to delink PAN and Aadhaar in India to avoid any discrepancies in the tax filing.

When to delink PAN with Aadhaar:

There are several reasons why an individual needs to delink their PAN and Aadhaar.

One of the most common reasons is the issuance of the same PAN to more than one assessee or the issuance of multiple PAN cards to one assessee.

In such cases, it is essential to delink the Aadhaar from the duplicate PAN to avoid any penalties for holding multiple PANs.

Also, incorrect linking of PAN and Aadhaar, fake PAN cards, and technical issues on the Income Tax e-filing portal can also necessitate delinking.

Documents required for PAN-Aadhaar Delink Process:

To delink your PAN and Aadhaar, you will need a copy of your PAN card and Aadhaar card, a document detailing your postal address, a copy of the grievance letter, and your email address.

How to delink PAN-Aadhaar:

The process of delinking PAN and Aadhaar varies based on the scenario.

If the same PAN number is issued to different individuals, you need to get the PAN card processing details from the PAN service provider, request identification of the initial and subsequent allottees of the PAN card, submit necessary documents to the Income Tax Department, and subsequently get a new PAN card.

If an assessee has two PAN cards, and Aadhaar is linked to a deactivated PAN card, you need to check the PAN card status, see if the cards are under de-duplication, contact the Income Tax Assessing Officer, and submit the necessary documents.

If one assessee's PAN card is linked to another person's Aadhaar card, you need to collect the PAN card processing details from the PAN service provider, collect Audit Log from ITBA (Income Tax Business Application) through RCC (Regional Computer Center), identify the reason for the wrong linking, decide if delinking is necessary, and submit necessary documents.

How to submit your PAN-Aadhaar delink request to your (Jurisdictional Assessing Officer):

If your Aadhaar is linked to the wrong PAN, you need to submit a request to your JAO for delinking Aadhaar from PAN.

Once you remove the link between two things, you can ask to link them again by submitting a request and paying a fee (if you haven't already paid).

To find your JAO, you can visit the e-portal, log in to the e-Filing portal and go to My Profile, and click on Jurisdictional details.

You can also connect with your JAO official through the email ID available in the e-portal.