Cassian Baliarsingh

In a tragic incident, a wild tusker died after coming in contact with 11KV electric wire at Basantpur Jadipadasahi under Champua forest range in Keonjhar district. It is alleged that the elephant died of electrocution after its leg got entangled in the high-tension election wire which was dangling at a much low height.

Sources said the jumbo's movement was spotted in the region since the past few days. The forest department reportedly had informed the matter to the electricity department, but no step was allegedly taken in this regard.

Earlier, two female elephants had died after they came in contact with a live electric power line on the premises of Krishi Vigyan Kendra under Sadar range in Keonjhar in August 2022. The locals then had blamed the lackadaisical attitude of the forest and electric department officials for the unfortunate death of two pachyderms. However, the forest department officials said they had informed the electric department officials about the low-lying electric wire at the farmhouse, but no action was taken.

(Reported by Dipak Satpathy)