Odisha seems to have turned into a graveyard for elephants. In another unfortunate incident, two female elephants died after they came in contact with live electric power line on the premises of Krishi Vigyan Kendra under Sadar range in Keonjhar on Wednesday evening.
Upon being informed by the staff, forest department officials reached the spot on Thursday morning and launched an inquiry into the incident.
As per reports, the farmhouse of the Krishi Vigyan Kendra is full of vegetation due to the rainy season. Wild elephants used to come to the farmhouse to gorge on the branches of different plants and creepers. A herd had come to the farmhouse last night. However, two of the pachyderms came in contact with the low-lying electric wires while trying to break the branches of a tree with their trunks. In the process, two female elephants from the spot died at the spot. Their trunks are still stuck with the electric wire.
Local people have blamed the lackadaisical attitude of the forest and electric department officials for the unfortunate death of two pachyderms.
However, the forest department officials said they had informed the electric department officials about the low-lying electric wire at the farmhouse, but no action was taken.
Following the death of the two elephants, questions are being raised over the sincerity and responsibility of both the forest and electric departments.
As per wildlife experts, the live electric wires were covered with tree branches and creepers due to the rainy season and those were not visible to the eyes. This is the main reason why the pachyderms couldn’t see the electric wires and got electrocuted while taking their food.
“It was the duty of both the forest and electric departments to work in tandem to ensure safety of the wild elephants from low-hanging live electric wires in the areas where elephants are regularly passing.