Ramakanta Biswas

A horrific electric shock might have left him disabled for life, but that could not halt his study. Abhijit Nayak, a 10-year-old boy from Ghasapada village of Mohana in southern Gajapati district, showed indomitable fight back spirit and continues his study.  

Abhijit, who studies in Class 5, had accidentally came in contact with 11kv electric wire while playing at his school on December 21, 2019.  He was rushed to Mohana in a critical condition and later referred to SCB Medical College and Hospital. However, doctors had to amputate his hands to save his life. 

Though he is getting back to normal and also resumed his study, he struggles to write properly. He urged the government to extend financial help for prosthesis implant. “I face problem while writing. I am also not able to play with friends,” the boy said while tears rolled down his cheeks.

Jhunu Nayak, Abhijit’s mother said, “He was playing with tyre at the school when the tyre got trapped in the roof of the school. While trying to bring the tyre, he came in contact with the live electric wire. We rushed him to hospital in Mohana and doctors referred him to Cuttack SCB where his hands were amputated. Though we have written to the government for financial help on several occasion, it yielded no result as yet.”

Though Abhijit receives Rs 500 pension per month, it is largely inadequate for his treatment. The villagers urged the government to extend financial help to the boy for a prosthetic implant. 

Namita Panda, chief medical officer of Mohana community health centre said the child can get prosthesis under Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram (RBSK). 

“Though his hands were amputated, he is still very active and continues his study. So, there is ample chance of him getting back to a normal life. I have asked the concerned official to take the child to a specialist and do the needful to provide him prosthesis,” she said. 

Reported by Mihir Jati, OTV