CBI removes 2G prosecutor
CNN-IBN channel on Monday night played the audio tape of the purported conversation between A K Singh, the CBI prosecutor and Chandra in which Singh purportedly suggests how a key prosecution witness would depose in the special court hearing the 2G case.
The suspected voice on the tape, said to been recorded in September last year, is also even detailing a three-judge Supreme Court judgement which could be used as a reference in the legal strategy.
CBI said tonight that Singh has been removed from the 2G case trial's prosecution team and a Preliminary Enquiry has been registered to verify these allegations.
The court has been informed about the developments, the spokesperson said, adding another prosecutor has been appointed to the team to assist in the ongoing trial.
"The CBI maintains strict vigilance over its officers and the prosecution and no instance of professional misconduct is taken lightly," the CBI said in a statement.
A PE has been registered and both Singh and Chandra four days ago and both of them were questioned in the CBI headquarters today in connection with the case.
In its reaction, Unitech rejected the allegations saying Chandra has never met the prosecutor in the 2G case outside the court or had any phone conversation with him. .