Israeli woman diplomat remains critical

New Delhi: The Israeli woman diplomat, who was injured in a suspected terror attack targeting an embassy car here, continues to remain "critical but stable", doctors said today.

Admitted to the Primus Hospital, Tal Yehoshua (40), wife of Israeli Defence Attache underwent two surgeries on Monday night for the splinter injuries suffered by her in the liver and spine. She is now recovering at the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital.

Dr Deep Makkar, in-charge of international patients at the hospital said, "Her condition is stable, her vitals are alright and she is conscious. We are monitoring her condition."

Doctors said there might be a possibility of her getting paralysed. "There might be a possibility (of her getting paralysed) as she has injured her spine and the nerves. We have fixed it and we can confirm about it only after she is out of ICU. Shrapnels have been removed from her body. She had splinter injuries in the liver too and that led to a lot of bleeding. But that has been taken care of and she seems fine," he said.

"She has minute splinters lodged in her body and they will stay with her for the rest of her life without harming her physical condition," he said.

The doctor said Yehoshua only remembers that there was a blast and she was pulled out of the car by the driver who first wanted her to go to the hospital but then obliged her request to be taken to the embassy first.

Meanwhile, the driver of the vehicle, Manoj Sharma too was rushed to the Primus Hospital on Monday night after he complained of pain. "Manoj was brought to us after he complained of abdominal pain and pain in the back. He has suffered injuries in the eye too. We will keep him under observation for some time, conduct a couple of test before we discharge him. He has very minor injuries," Dr Makkar said.

Meanwhile, Medical Superintendent of Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, Dr T S Sidhu, said, "Three persons with splinter injuries, who were brought to us, were discharged on Monday night."