Amy Winehouse dies of suspected drug overdose
London: Singer Amy Winehouse, who had a long battle with drink and drugs, died on Saturday of a suspected overdose at her London home.
The 27-year-old star, was pronounced dead after police were called to her home in North London. Autopsy could take place `within next 24 hours`, reported Daily Mail.
Her untimely death follows a long list of musicians who have all died at the age of 27, known as the `27 Club`. They include rock legends Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and Rolling Stone Brian Jones.
The `Back to Black` hitmaker was said to be devastated after her split from director Reg Traviss, just before she checked herself into The Priory rehabilitation clinic last month. Winehouse`s father Mitch flew home from New York "to be with Amy."
Mitch, who had predicted his daughter would die if she failed to quit drink and drugs, said he was devastated but has vowed "not to crack up for Amy`s sake".
Last night, as Winehouse`s body was taken to a local mortuary, her mother Janis admitted she believed her daughter`s death had been "only a matter of time" when they met just 24 hours before she died.
“She seemed out of it. But her passing so suddenly still hasn`t hit me,” she said.
“Inquiries continue into the circumstances of the death, which at this stage is being treated as unexplained. We do have people we`re speaking to but nobody has been arrested,” said a Scotland Yard spokesman.
Another police source said that the death was being treated as `drink and drugs-related`.
A post-mortem is expected to be carried out on Monday.