Free Toy In Chips Packet Takes 1-Yr-Old Girl’s Life In Odisha

Keonjhar: How far is it safe to allow kids to have food on their own? Corroborating the concern is a shocking incident reported from Keonjhar district, where a one-year-old girl died due to asphyxiation after she accidentally swallowed a toy that was inside a chips packet. The deceased girl has been identified as the daughter of one Bidyadhar Jena of Kolipadi village under Nandipada police limits here.

According to the family members, the girl was having chips when mistakenly she swallowed a plastic toy that came free in the packet. Following this, her windpipe was completely chocked which caused suffocation due to obstruction of airflow.

Though they rushed her to nearby Anandpur Sub-divisional hospital, the doctors there checked her pulse and declared her brought dead.

“We tried a lot to help her cough out the toy. She couldn’t speak at all. All our attempts failed. We couldn’t save her,” said a family member.

Asphyxiation, also known as suffocation, means to die from lack of oxygen. It is a process of being deprived of oxygen, which can result in unconsciousness or even death.