24000 medical aspirants from State to appear in NEET today

Bhubaneswar: Around 24000 medical aspirants from across Odisha will battle it out for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) on Sunday for admission to MBBS and BDS courses across the country.

The test will begin at 10 am and will continue till 1 pm and would be held at the three test centers across the State.

 As per central government’s new guidelines 85 percent seats in medical colleges are reserved for the candidates of respective states and the rest of the 15 percent seats would be filled up according to all India rank.

Odisha has a total of 600 seats for MBBS and 150 seats for BDS programmes.

To be conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), NEET 2013 will replace all state-level medical entrance tests and the All-India pre-medical from this year.
 
Around 7 lakh 27 thousand aspirants from across the country will sit for NEET this time.

More than 260 colleges have been listed by the Medical Council of India, which will fall under the aegis of NEET 2013. These colleges will offer over 30,000 MBBS seats across India.

NEET will the one combined test for undergraduate medical/dental courses, except for statutory bodies such as the All India Institute of Medical Sciences and the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research. After clearing the test, candidates will get two ranks – an all-India rank and a state rank.