Mrunal Manmay Dash

As many as 25 students of a school were taken ill after eating mid-day meal allegedly contaminated with a dead lizard on Monday. The incidence was reported from the Urdu UGME school at Shankarpur in Bhadrak.

As per reports, the students were served mid-day-meal on Monday like every other day. However, after eating the meal, some students allegedly found a dead lizard in it.

Soon, the students who had already eaten the lizard-contaminated meal were taken ill. They complained of vomiting and nausea.

The students were immediately taken to Bhadrak hospital by 108 ambulance where the doctors treated them.

“Not only the students were served the meal late, but it was infested with lizard too. I called the CDMO who sent a medical team to the school. But the situation went out of control. So they sent them to the hospital,” said a parent, Shaikh Sabbir.

All the 25 students admitted to the hospital are stated to be stable and recovering.

The Block Education Officer (BEO) reached the hospital after being informed about the lizard in mid-day-meal. He spoke with the ill students and assured a probe into the incident.

“A lizard was found in the rice. We have come to the hospital after getting information about the incident. The ill students have been kept under observation. Their health condition is stable. A probe will be launched in this connection and the responsible person will be dealt with as per the law,” said Bhadrak BEO Chakradhar Mallik.

Preparation of mid-day meal for that school was entrusted to an organisation named Damodar Jew Sevayatan. They were not available for comments in this connection.

  • Reported by:
  • Partha Sarathi nayak
scrollToTop