The Ministry of Education on Wednesday released fresh guidelines stating that modification in the school timings and the daily routine is needed to combat the ill effects of the heatwave. As per the Ministry, school hours can be reduced and can start as early as 7 am.
"Sports/other outdoor activities which expose students directly to the sunlight may be appropriately adjusted in the early morning," said the ministry adding that light food should be consumed and classrooms should be properly ventilated.
Check the guidelines regarding precautions to be observed by schools to combat the ill-effects of the heatwave.
Modification in School timings and daily routine
-School hours may start early and get over before noon. Timing may be from 7.00 AM onwards.
- Number of school hours per day may be reduced.
- Sports/other outdoor activities which expose students directly to the sunlight may be appropriately adjusted in the early morning.
- School assembly should be conducted in covered area or in classrooms with reduced timing.
- Similar care may be taken during dispersal after school is over.
Do’s and Don’ts for students
- Drink sufficient water- even if not thirsty
- Use ORS (Oral Rehydration solution), homemade drink like lassi, torani (rice water), lemon water, butter milk, etc. to keep yourself hydrated.
- Wear lightweight, light coloured, loose, cotton clothes.
- Cover your head by using cloth, hat or umbrella, etc.
- Stay indoor as much as possible
- If you feel faint or ill, see a doctor immediately
- Do not go outside on an empty stomach or after consuming heavy food
- Avoid going out in the sun, especially in the afternoon if not required
- Avoid strenuous activities when outside in the afternoon
- Do not go outside barefoot
- Do not eat junk/stale/spicy food
"Guidelines regarding precautions to be observed by schools to combat the ill effects of the heatwave including modification in school timings and daily routine, transportation, hydration, meals, etc.," the Ministry of Education tweeted on Wednesday.