The tragic incident occurred early today at nearby Kalimedu when the Appar temple chariot procession was underway.
Two wild elephants reportedly died in separate incidents due to suspected electrocution in Ganjam and Dhenkanal district last night.
Sambalpur: In a major development, three poachers were arrested by forest officials on Friday on charges of laying electric wire to trap animal on a field in Jadu Loisinga area under Sadar Forest Range. The arrests were made in connection with the death of a 12-year-old tusker in the area after coming in contact with […]
Sonepur: A minor boy died while his uncle suffered critical injuries after being electrocuted by a live wire laid on the roadside to hunt wild boars near Silati village under Binika Police limits in Sonepur district. The deceased Trilochan Sathua is a 17-year-old from Salepali village under Bheden block in Bargarh district. His uncle, Manoj […]
Rayagada: In a tragic incident, two members of a family including an expectant mother were electrocuted to death on Saturday in Thangapada village of Rayagada district. The deceased persons have been identified as 65-year-old Dauni Mandika and his daughter-in-law Sumitra who was 4-months pregnant. At first, Mandika suffered an electric shock when he came in […]
Cuttack: An employee of Irrigation department was killed while another sustained critical injuries after coming in contact with a live wire at Lendhura Bhagabanpur under Nemalo police limits in Cuttack district on Thursday. Surendra Nath Acharya and Harekrishna Sethi, employees of the irrigation department, reportedly came in contact with an 11 KV live electric wire […]
Nuapada: A woman and her 9-year-old daughter were killed after an 11 KV electricity wire reportedly fell on them in Makhapadar village under Sinapali police limits of Nuapada district. The deceased identified as Tarulata Chandi and her 9-year-old daughter Dushila Chandi were reportedly taking bath when the overhead electricity cable snapped and fell on them, […]
Cuttack: A pal of gloom descended on Betei village under Salepur Police limits in Cuttack district when three members of a family were electrocuted to death. As per reports, one Nandita Mallick from Betei village came in contact with an electricity wire while she was hanging clothes to dry. Seeing her in despair, Nandita’s mother-in-law, […]
Sundergarh: Tension erupted at Bonai electric office in the district today morning after local residents of Sanagogua village ransacked the office premises following death of a farmer due to alleged electrocution. According to reports, the farmer identified as Syamaghan Sahu was ploughing his farmland when one of his two bullocks accidentally came in contact with […]
Puri: At a time when restoration work is going on a war footing to repair the entire power infrastructure in Puri district devastated in the cyclone, a staffer of the Electricity department died on duty after being electrocuted while repairing a transformer near Sadar police station area in the pilgrim town. Raising concerns over his […]
Bhanjanagar: One person was killed while two others sustained critical injuries after coming in contact with high tension electric wire in Ganjam district today morning. Sources said, the deceased Narayan Gouda of Jilundi village along with three other labourers was carrying iron rods onto the roof of an under-constructed building inside Mudulipalli panchayat office campus […]
Ganjam: In a tragic incident, a man and his son were electrocuted after coming in contact with a live electric wire at Badapada village under Belaguntha block in the district on Sunday. The deceased have been identified as Abhimanyu Patra and his son Jitendra. As per sources, Jitendra had gone to hang a wet shawl […]
Ganjam: More than 10 persons including a minor sustained injuries after a live electric wire snapped and fell into a pond they were bathing in at Gudiali village under Kabisuryanagar area of Ganjam district this morning. However, a major mishap was averted as all of them were taking bath on concrete steps leading to the […]
Rourkela: A man and his son died of electrocution at their house today near Ved Vyas Mandir road under Brahmanitarang police limits in Rourkela. The deceased have been identified as Satyanarayan Saha and his son Sanjay Saha. The mishap occurred after Satyanarayan came in contact with electrical current in the water that entered their house […]
Sambalpur: Sabitri Brata turned into a day of mourning for a family in Sambalpur today after a man was electrocuted to death while trying to save his wife and domestic help. The deceased, identified as Brindaban Pradhan was electrocuted while he was trying to rescue his wife and domestic help, both of whom had […]
Balasore: Two labourers were killed and five others, including a woman got critical due to an electric shock while installing street lights on premises of Chandipur Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) here in Balasore on Wednesday. The incident occurred on the DRDO’s Military Engineer Services (MES) premises when the labourers were digging the ground […]
Jharsuguda: Two elephants including a calf died in separate incidents near Teladihi village under Bagadihi range in Jharsuguda district late last night. While one jumbo was killed after coming in contact with an 11-KV electric wire near the Teladihi check gate, the baby elephant, around six months old, fell into a pit and died just […]
Bolangir: Tension prevailed in Chatiapali of Bolangir district as a person was reportedly electrocuted after he came in contact with a live wire while pruning a tree branch here on Monday. The deceased, identified as Niranjan Bag from Chatiapali area had climbed atop a tree to chop it when he came in contact with a […]
Balasore: Two brothers were electrocuted to death while they were setting up a tent at Mandarpur village under Remuna block in Balasore district this morning. The deceased were identified as Judhistir Das and Biswajit Das of Niabag village. According to reports, Judhistir and his younger brother Biswajit were engaged in tent works for a function […]
Dharmagada: Vehicular movement on Dharmagada-Sinapali road was disrupted when locals blocked the road near Tumura in Golamunda demanding ex gratia for family of a villager who was electrocuted this morning. They staged the road blockade by placing the villager’s dead body on the road. While returning home along with chopped off tree branches, the villager, […]
Bolangir: A high tension electric wire today snapped accidentally and fell on five women labourers killing three of them and leaving two others critically injured at Ganapalli village in the district today. The incident took place when the workers were engaged in planting paddy saplings in a field. The 11 kv wire passing over the […]
Bhubaneswar: Odisha government is planning to include electrocution in the list of notified disasters eligible for compensation from national and state disaster relief funds. Addressing a meeting of state level committee on natural calamities here on Monday, Special Relief Commissioner Bishnupada Sethi said the State is currently providing compensation for deaths related to sunstroke, fire, […]
Kendrapara: Two persons were electrocuted today in separate incidents in Nikirai and Patkura police limits of Odisha’s Kendrapara district. A 28-year-old mechanic Jagabandhu Sethy was electrocuted in Choti village while the victim was repairing a motor pump of local villager. Sethy died on the spot, police said adding that an unnatural death case has been […]
Bhubaneswar: Rejecting the plea of the Odisha government not to pay compensation to the next of the kin of a man who died of electrocution in Bhadrak district in October 2013, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has directed the chief secretary to submit compliance of payment of compensation of Rs one lakh within six weeks.