Minor dies, 4 others of family taken ill due to food poisoning

Rayagada: A minor boy died and four other members of his family were taken ill due to suspected food poisoning at a sevasharam school in Upper Kodinga village under Kashipur block of Rayagada district today.

According to reports, one Gouri Jani working as a cook and living along with his family inside the school premises today consumed stale rice and chicken curry that was prepared last night. A few minutes after having the meal, the entire family started vomiting and fell unconscious, reports added.

Locals rescued them and initially rushed them to the nearby Tikiri Primary Health Centre (PHC) where Gouri’s eight-year-old son Rocky Jani died while undergoing treatment.

Later, the four other members were shifted to Rayagada District Headquarters Hospital (DHH) where their health condition is stated to be stable.

“They said that they had rice and chicken last night and again consuming the leftovers today. They started vomiting and fell unconscious after having the meals. This is definitely a case of food poisoning,” informed Rayagada Sub-divisional Medical Officer (SDMO), Sibaprasad Padhi.