Anthrax scare in Kandhamal
The condition of seven of the 10 patients was critical. They were later shifted to a hospital in Berhampur.
People were being treated at their houses in isolated rooms as the disease is highly contagious, Additional District Medical Officer (Public Health), Jatin Patnaik, said.
The disease has created panic in the locality but steps have been taken to check its further spread, he said.
The disease broke out in the remote village with a population of only 120, including 48 people from Kutia Kondh (primitive tribe) apparently due to consumption of rotten beef and pork, sources said.
Receiving information, a health team from Phulbani led by CDMO N C Behera and a mobile health team from Balliguda rushed to the village and geared up the preventive measures.
All houses were disinfected with DDT and bleaching powder. The team also collected skin smear and blood samples from the affected people for medical examination.
The villagers were also advised not to take rotten beef and pork and keep away from the patients. Rotten dried pieces of beef and pork were also found in some houses and destroyed, Dr Patnaik informed.