Vikash Sharma

Bhubaneswar: In a shocking incident, two labourers died while carrying out sewerage cleaning works at Tankapani Road area in the Capital City on Friday.

Preliminary reports said that both the deceased were sanitary workers who died due to suffocation after inhaling poisonous gases.

As per reports, the labourers who were engaged in manual scavenging fell sick during the cleaning works. They were immediately rushed to the Capital Hospital where they were declared brought dead by the doctors.

The deceased have been identified as Sunaram Sardar and Silu Berua.

"One labourer entered the sewage channel by removing the manhole cover and fell unconscious soon after. Another worker rushed to his rescue and fainted. However, none came forward to their rescue," said a security guard employed at a nearby building.

Meanwhile, the locals blamed the sewage board for the deaths of the two labourers. "The sewage board never keeps the safety of its labourers in mind while undertaking the cleaning works. No precautionary measures are being adopted. Safety kits like helmets and belts are not being provided to the workers for emergencies," said a local resident.