Man-eater tigress injured by forest hunters
Rishikesh: A man-eater tigress, which had let loose a rein of terror in the Corbett Tiger Reserve by killing 4 women in nearly two month, was injured in an attempt by Uttarakhand forest department hunters to shoot it.
The tigress was shot by hunters last night when it returned to its prey, the body of the woman which it had killed on January 10, in Garjia area of the reserve. However, it managed to escape the attack by running into the jungles in an injured condition, said forest officials.
The forest teams, led by Reserve Director R K Mishra, are now combing the forests to trace the injured tigress.
The Corbett administration is also taking the help of pet female elephants –Albeli and Asha– for locating the tigress.
Uttarakhand Chief Wildlife Warden Srikant Chandola and member secretary of National Tiger conservation Authority Rajesh Gopal are also camping at Ramnagar area near the Park to keep a close watch on the situation.
Meanwhile, the administration has advised the people living near the Jim Corbett National park to remain alert and not to venture into the jungles as the injured tigress is very aggressive and might attack people.
The man-eater tigress has so far killed four women in Sunderkhal area of the Reserve in the past two months.
On November 12, November 18 and December 29 last year and January 10 this year, the tigress had killed the women in four separate incidents when they were returning after fetching fodder for their cattle.
Later, bowing to the demand of the agitated people of the area, Chandola had on December 30 last year declared the tigress as man-eater and issued orders to kill the wildcat.
Meanwhile, wildlife experts have called for shifting the human settlements of Sunderkhal area to elsewhere.
"The human settlement at Sunderkhal area should be shifted to outside the tiger reserve area as this is the only solution to avoid the tiger-human conflict," said Bijendra Singh, former wildlife warden to Jim Corbett National Park.