One dies of asphyxiation, two taken ill

Phulbani: One person was asphyxiated in sleep and two others were taken seriously ill after inhaling smoke from burning charcoal kept in an earthen pot to get respite from the biting cold in Kondhmal district, police said today. The incident occurred on Monday night at Baliguda when the deceased Arakhita Patra (60), his wife Prafulla Patra and son Nilachal were sleeping in the room.

Other members of the family who were sleeping in an adjacent room found the trio in an unconscious state in the morning and immediately them to the local government hospital. Arakhita was declared brought dead in the hospital. As severe cold wave is sweeping the district for the last few days, charcoal fire is a common way to keep the rooms warm at night.

The fall in mercury level in almost every place to below four degree celsius with layers of ice seen at Daringbadi where the temperature had gone to minus two degree celsius last week had affected normal life causing a lot of inconvenience to the people.