Bhubaneswar: The fire mishap at a dedicated Covid hospital in Cuttack on Monday came as a wake up call for authorities who seemed to have been overlooking the crucial fire-safety measures at major hospitals across cities in the state.
A day after the incident that necessitated an unprecedented evacuation of over 127 Covid patients- much to the inconvenience of families, doctors and paramedics- the Fire Brigade on Tuesday began mock drills at several other COVID hospitals in the twin cities of Cuttack and Bhubaneswar to check preparedness in case of a similar eventuality.
In the wake of Cuttack COVID hospital fire, Fire dept officials to conduct mock drills today at SUM, KIMS and Aditya Ashwini hospitals in Bhubaneswar #Odisha
— OTV (@otvnews) September 22, 2020
Experts in Odisha Fire Services Department reviewed the fire safety arrangements and other mechanisms at SUM Covid Hospital, Aditya Ashwini in Bhubaneswar and several other hospitals in Cuttack.
Fire Officer Ramesh Majhi informed that a dedicated team had earlier conducted an inspection and had checked various fire safety apparatus in place at various hospitals.
“Today, we are sensitising hospital officials and staff and training them on use of several equipment so that they can deal with emergency situations,” said Majhi.
Majhi further informed that specialised training is also being imparted to hospital staff on handling COVID-19 positive patients (during evacuation), handling of fire fighting equipment and other related aspects.
Also Read: Fire Breaks Out In COVID Hospital In Cuttack
Earlier on Monday, the Odisha government ordered an inquiry after a fire broked out at Sadguru Covid Hospital in Cuttack.
As many as 127 patients had to be immediately evacuated and shifted to other dedicated COVID hospital and COVID Care Centres in the city.
The fire reportedly broke out due to a short circuit in an air conditioner in the ICU.