Bhubaneswar: With the Cyclone Yaas coming into existence in Bay of Bengal, now all reputed models world over have concluded that this very severe cyclonic storm will make landfall at around 21deg North latitude and 87 degree longitude.
The release of latitude and longitude of the Landfall place has made it crystal clear that very severe cyclonic storm Yaas with a knocking down wind speed of 150kmph cross the Odisha coast between Kendrapada and Balasore.
The system from next 12 hours Will be towards Paradip in Odisha.
The latitude and longitude data clearly rules out landfall in West Bengal.
From IMD-GFS to US-GFS, ECMWF, Japan Metrological Agency, Germany Weather Agency, American Navy, JTWC, all are of the opinion that charting a north-west course, Cyclone Yaas will make landfall at around 21deg North and 86.9 deg East. ( Means between Kendrapadaand Balasore).
Cyclone Yaas Impact On Odisha
Odisha has no luck on its side this time, unlike May 2020. The path of this very severe cyclonic storm will be heaping miseries on Odisha.
As per model data, the Cyclone Yaas will stay in Odisha for full 24-hours.
While it is predicted to make landfall in the morning hours of Wednesday (May 26), the storm is predicted to make exit from Odisha to Jharkhand in the morning hours of May 27 (Thursday).
The windspeed of Yaas then is predicted to remain at around 85 kmph.
District Wise Impact
Cyclone Yaas’ first rain and wind will be felt in Ganjam-Gajapati, when in morning hours on May 25, the wind speed may touch 60kmph (gusting).
- Bhadrak, Kendrapada, Balasore will see wind speed of 137 kmph on May 26 early morning hours.
- RAIN: Will start in Puri at around 9:30 hours in the night of May 25.
- Heavy rain in Jagatsinghpur and Kendrapadafrom 2:30 hours in the night of May 25.
- Morning: Kendrapada will record very heavy rain at the rate of 20mm per hour.
- The rain in Kendrapada will become extremely heavy (40-50mm/hr).
- Bhadrak and Balasore will receive around 30mm/hour.
- Though Cuttack and Bhubaneswar will be receiving around 5mm rain per hour on May 26 morning.
- But by noon, the rain will be heavy at the rate of 14mm/hour.
Status Of Cyclone Yaas Today
Cyclone Yaas is moving in north west direction. In last 12 hours, the system has moved 055 degrees at the rate of 13kmph.
It will continue its northwest ward movement in next 12 hours. The system will be moving towards Paradip area, says JTWC.
The structure of Cyclone Yaas reveals that it’s south west and north west arm are packed with knocking down wind and intense rain bearing clouds.
For this reason, south Odisha to witness first the signs of Cyclone approaching Odisha coast.