In today's world where data privacy is a growing concern protecting personal information has become top priority. With the increasing use of Aadhaar cards as proof of identity, it's important to be cautious about sharing it with others.
Why should you use a masked Aadhaar card?
When someone asks for your ID card, you might instinctively give them your Aadhaar card. However, it's important to be aware that your Aadhaar card is linked to your bank account, mutual fund, PAN card, insurance policies, EPFO, driving license, IRCTC account, LPG connection, and many other documents.
This means that giving your Aadhaar card to someone can potentially compromise your personal information.
To protect your privacy, you can use a masked Aadhaar card. A masked Aadhaar card is a version of your Aadhaar card where only the last four digits of your Aadhaar number are visible.
This makes it safe to use as proof of identity when someone asks for it.
How to download a masked Aadhaar card?
Downloading a masked Aadhaar card is a simple process.
- The first step is to visit the UIDAI website (https://uidai.gov.in/).
- Once you are on the website, click on the "Download Aadhaar" option under the "Get Aadhaar" tab.
- Login using Aadhaar card number and OTP.
- Next, you will need to login using your Aadhaar card number and OTP (One-Time Password).
- Tap on "Do you want a masked Aadhaar".
- After logging in, a pop-up window will appear. Here, select the "Do you want a masked Aadhaar" option and enter your Aadhaar card details.
- Click "Verify & Download".
- Once you have entered your details, click on the "Verify & Download" button.
After following these steps, your masked Aadhaar card will be downloaded successfully. Now, when any website asks for your Aadhaar number, you can choose to use your Virtual ID (VID) number instead.
You can find your VID number on your Aadhaar card, just below the Aadhaar number.