This practice involves staring at a fixed point without blinking. It involves looking at an object, usually a flame, small dot, moon, setting sun, or geometric diagram without blinking. Focusing on these external objects helps the mind to train to be able to focus on internal points, which is used as internal trataka and other concentration (meditation) practices.
What Are The Benefits Of Trataka Meditation:
There are several benefits to Trataka meditation that have made it survive over time.
- It alleviates stress and anxiety.
- Improves concentration and memory.
- Strengthens your eyes.
- It purifies and stimulates the sixth chakra (Ajna) that controls intuition and mental awareness.
What You Will Need:
- You will need a candle, small table or stool, something to comfortably sit on and a dark and quiet room.
Technique To Practise Trataka:
- It is recommended that you place the candle on a surface just below your eye level (a high or low candle may cause neck strain, so adjust the height with whatever is available).
- The candle should be lit, the room should be darkened, any fans should be turned off, and the windows should be closed to ensure a steady flame.
- Sit in a comfortable position, 1-2ft (30-60cm) away from the candle. You can use sukhasana, vajrasana, padmasana and siddha yoni asana to sit.
- Try to stare directly at the flame without blinking. Your eyes will start to water after a while, but try to keep them open.
- Whenever you feel you can't keep your eyes open any longer, close them and focus on your third eye (eyebrow centre). The flame will still appear there.
- Hold on to this image of the flame as long as possible (even if it is moving and trying to escape your vision.
- When you see no trace of the flame, open your eyes again and repeat the process twice.
- After you have finished, rub your palms together to create heat and place the warm palms over your eyes to relax.
The practice of third eye meditation should be avoided by people who suffer from psychic problems such as schizophrenia or hallucinations. If they wish to participate in this practice, they should seek the guidance of a trusted and knowledgeable teacher.