Baripada: Three members of a family sustained critical burn injuries after one of them reportedly attempted self-immolation at Baidapur village under Betanati block of Mayurbhanj district today morning.
The three injured have been identified as Gair Singh, his wife Saraswati and mother Raim. Singh and his mother were admitted to Baripada Medical College and Hospital while Saraswati was shifted to SCB Medical College and Hospital (SCBMCH) in Cuttack.
As per reports, Singh's wife set herself on fire by pouring kerosene in the kitchen of the house over family dispute. Singh and his mother immediately rushed to the spot after hearing Saraswati's screams and tried to save her. They also suffered burn injuries in the process.
Later, some neighbours rushed to the spot after getting the information and rushed the trio to Betanoti hospital in ambulance. They were then referred to Baripada Hospital.
However, Saraswati was shifted to SCB Medical College and Hospital (SCBMCH) after her health condition deteriorated.
Singh said Saraswati attempted self-immolation over some family issues. Police reached the spot and launched an investigation in connection with the incident.