Sharmili Mallick

Ganjam: At a time when doctors and health workers are earning applauses worldwide for tackling the Coronavirus pandemic from the front, several incidents of allegations of medical negligence on part of the hospital authorities & medical staff continue to be a concern in Odisha.

Two families of Ganjam district have brought serious allegations against the healthcare delivery mechanism at two Covid hospitals of the district.

As per reports, the family members of T Dilip Patra, a resident of Bijipur area have alleged medical negligence as the reason behind his death. Dilip lost his life to coronavirus while undergoing treatment at Tata Covid Hospital in Berhampur.

Patra’s family members said that he was admitted for treatment on July 11 after he complained of fever. Later, he tested positive for SARS-nCoV on July 15 and released from the hospital four days after the hospital confirmed that he was exhibiting no more symptoms.

However, he was again admitted to City Covid Hospital in Berhampur and later shifted to Tata COVID Hospital after his family members alleged lack of proper treatment in the hospital. However, he succumbed while undergoing treatment.

“We were calling him since morning that day but unlce (Patra) did not receive the calls. The hospital authorities later called us at around 9 am and said he was critical and kept on ventilator. They again gave another call at around 11 am and informed us about his death. He was stable at night, how did he suddenly die,” said Patra’s niece.

“Treatment at City Covid Hospital and Tata Covid Hospital is not up to the mark and people getting treatment in these two hospitals are dying in large numbers. The hospitals do not have sufficient staff and doctors. The helpline numbers of these hospitals are not even responded,” she said.

In another case, the family members of a Covid-19 infected person identified as Basant Kumar Sahoo of Ganpati Nagar in Berhampur town were reportedly informed about his demise after four days.

Sahoo was admitted to Sitalapali Covid Hospital on July 19 after he tested positive for Coronavirus. The family members informed that they were talking to Sahoo over the phone till July 24 but his phone became unreachable after that, alleged Sahoo’s family.

When they contacted the helpline number over the matter, they were informed that Sahoo was undergoing treatment at the hospital till July 27and died yesterday, said his family members.

“We were speaking to him (Sahoo) till July 24 noon and he was critical. Later, we could not contact him. Yesterday, the concerned hospital authorities called over the phone and informed us about his death since July 24,” informed Sahoo’s brother-in-law.

(Edited By Suryakant Jena)


Also Read:

Odisha Patients Caught In Quagmire Of Medical Negligence & COVID-19

Nurse Of Balasore COVID Hospital Alleges Harassment, 2 Detained