Keonjhar: Keonjhar district administration on Sunday announced a complete shutdown of Barbil town for seven days after 11 COVID-19 cases were detected from the area in the last 24 hours. Keonjhar District Collector Ashish Thakare said though the weekend shutdown continues, it has been decided to extend the restrictions for another seven days.
“The shutdown has been declared as 25 new COVID-19 cases including 11 from Barbil have been reported. The remaining 14 cases have been reported from Harichandanpur, Ghatagaon and other parts of the district. All the 14 cases are returnees from other states. The shutdown restrictions will help us carry out active surveillance and further contact tracing activities in Barbil,” said Thakare.
Thakare further informed that all the 11 new cases are primary contacts of previous COVID-19 cases and already teams are engaged in tracing their contacts.
On reports that some of the new COVID-19 positives had attended some meeting, the district Collector said that necessary action as per the law will be taken.
With the detection of 25 new positives, the COVID-19 tally in Keonjhar district rose to 182 on Sunday. Of the total cases reported so far, 81 are active cases and 101 persons have already recovered from coronavirus infections, Thakare added.
(Edited By Ramakant Biswas)