Rashmi Ranjan

In an unfortunate incident, a Class 8 student of Dengula High School in Koida area in Sundargarh district, who sustained severe burn injuries after falling into hot dal, succumbed to his injuries while undergoing treatment on Sunday night.

The deceased has been identified as Gelet Hanga of Patakunda area.

Though the incident took place on March 6, it came to the fore following the death of the student.

According to sources, the student accidentally fell into hot dal while helping the cook shift the container from the gas stove.

The student was first rushed to Koida Community Health Centre (CHC) and later shifted to Ispat General Hospital (IGH) after his health condition deteriorated. However, he succumbed to his injuries last night.

“The cook at the hostel asked the student to help him get the dal vessel down from the stove. In the process, hot dal spilled on the student leaving him injured. He was immediately rushed to the hospital on March 6 and shifted to IGH on the next day,” said Carmel Bilung, headmistress of the school. 

Meanwhile, locals have alleged the students are often engaged in cooking work at the school’s hostel and demanded an investigation into the matter.

However, no comments from Block Education Officer (BEO) or District Education Officer (DEO) could be obtained over the incident.

(Reported by Sunil Panda, OTV)