With the death of six persons due to the diarrhoea outbreak triggering major health concerns in Rourkela, laboratory tests of some samples on Tuesday confirmed it to be a case of cholera. So far, six deaths have been reported in Rourkela while 500 others have been admitted to hospital following symptoms of diarrhoea and vomiting.
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik is likely to review the cholera outbreak in Rourkela situation with the senior officials today.
“We had sent stool samples to Sundargarh and reports received on Monday have confirmed it to be cholera and some others have E.Coli. We urge people to consume ORS and eat food after washing their hands properly. Only after death audit report, we can say whether the deaths were due to cholera or some other reason,” said Sudharani Pradhan, RGH superintendent.
Sources said that the tests confirmed the presence of vibrio cholera bacteria. Commissioner of Rourkela Municipal Corporation (RMC) today informed that there has been considerable improvement in the situation in Rourkela.
Diarrhoea cases in some areas are declining. Ten additional doctors and paramedical staff have been roped in including some epidemiologists from Sundargarh and Bhubaneswar.
Already, 36 leakages in water pipelines at different places in Rourkela have been repaired by the WATCO. RMC is continuously checking food and water samples from affected areas, he added.