Pradeep Pattanayak

As many as five buses caught fire and were reduced to ashes at a garage in Tamando area on the outskirts of Bhubaneswar on Sunday. No casualty was reported in the mishap. 

As per initial reports, one of the buses reportedly caught fire during welding and soon the flame not only engulfed the entire bus but also spread to four other buses-two on each side, one after another.  

According to the preliminary investigation by the fire department, while a mechanic was repairing a bus with a welding machine, the fire sparks from the machine fell on the tyre and triggered the fire, which spread to the entire bus. 

Also Read: Kharagpur bus fire: Odisha Fire Dept warns of strict action on buses carrying firecrackers

On being informed, fire engines and staff from the Tamando Fire Station, Jatni Fire Station, Secretariat Fire Station, and Fire Training Centre reached the spot and brought the fire under control. 

According to deputy fire officer, OFDRA, Prakash Kumar Jena, the operation was a challenging one as it was a garage, and buses and other vehicles were there. “We could control the fire before spreading to other vehicles,” he said.

“My bus was five years old. It was running between Bhubaneswar and Rourkela. I had brought it to the garage for repair. After two days, it was to be delivered.  Today while having lunch I got the news that my bus was on fire. Upon reaching the garage, I saw my bus was already reduced to ashes,” said a bus owner.

  • Reported by: