On the heels of the fire mishap in an Odisha-bound bus at Kharagpur, the Odisha fire services department has warned of stern action on buses found carrying firecrackers.
Speaking to OTV, Transport Commissioner Amitabh Thakur said, “West Bengal government is conducting an enquiry into the fire mishap. Officials from Odisha government also went to Kharagpur to assist WB in the rescue operation and bring back passengers to Odisha.”
“That bus was registered in West Bengal. As far as Odisha is concerned, we have been warning people to not carry inflammable materials including firecrackers in buses. However, we cannot check every passenger’s luggage,” Thakur added.
Asked about the fire, Deputy Fire Commissioner Abani Swain said, “As per my information, the fire in that bus was not due to firecrackers. The fire sparked due to a short circuit in the bus’ air conditioning unit.”
“However, I would like to appeal to everybody to refrain from carrying firecrackers in buses. It can only be transported in specific vehicles certified by the fire department,” Swain added.
A woman from Odisha’s Kendrapara lost her life after the bus she was travelling from Kolkata to Paradip caught fire on Friday night near Madhapur in Kharagpur. Several passengers reportedly sustained burn injuries in this mishap.