• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Telegram
  • Youtube
  • otv
Sharmili Mallick

News Highlights

  • It usually spreads in the form of a spore but there are mostly three ways of contamination - Skin (cutaneous), Inhalation (lung) and Gastrointestinal.

The threat of deadly anthrax disease is giving sleepless nights to residents of a Koraput village. 

As per sources, the serious disease caused by bacterium Bacillus anthracis has claimed the life of one person while as many as two others are said to be suffering from the same at Tukum village in Machhakund area of the district.

A medical team from Community Health Centre at Lamtaput which inspected the health condition of the local dwellers informed that one person succumbed to the disease on Saturday. 

On the other hand, the condition of the two more is said to be critical while five others have also been found suffering with symptoms of the infection.

The deceased has been identified as Dambaru Kirsani while the other two critical patients Dhanpati Pangi and Madan Kirsani have been admitted to the Lamtaput CHC for treatment.

Sujit Kumar Mishra, a doctor at Lamtaput CHC informed, “We examined some people at the village and found boils on the body of two villagers. They are in serious condition and have been sent to the CHC. Five to six people at the village are also suffering from high grade fever. We have sent their blood samples to the laboratory and started their treatment by prescribing them medicines. The test reports will establish the exact disease.”

The medical team is waiting for the laboratory test reports to confirm the outbreak of the disease in the village.

Daya Pujari, a villager of Tukum said, “Last Sunday, some villagers had thrown a feast and consumed stale meat. Two days later, skin sores were seen in some of them. Though we rushed Dambaru to the hospital, he succumbed while undergoing treatment.”

Earlier in 2012, three persons of Tukum village had succumbed after being infected with anthrax infection.

As per the CDC, Anthrax occurs naturally around the world in wild and domestic hoofed animals, especially cattle, sheep, goats, camels and antelopes. It can also occur in humans when they are exposed to the disease causing bacterium Bacillus anthracis, usually through handling animals or animal hides.

It usually spreads in the form of a spore but there are mostly three ways of contamination - Skin (cutaneous), Inhalation (lung) and Gastrointestinal.

Other Stories

scrollToTop