• otv
Sharmili Mallick

An eight-year-old boy sustained grievous burn injuries following an explosion at his house at Medinpur village under Kodala Police Station limits of Ganjam district on Thursday afternoon.

The child has been identified as Vivekananda, son of Binayak Sahu of nearby Phasi village. He was initially admitted to the Kodala Community Health Centre (CHC) and later shifted to MKCG Medical College and Hospital in Berhampur after his health condition deteriorated.

As per reports, Vivekananda had come to visit his uncle’s house at Medinpur village yesterday. After having lunch, he went to a room on the first floor of the house to take rest.

Few minutes after he went upstairs, a severe sound of an explosion was heard from the room. The family members of Vivekananda said they had kept some fire crackers, which was leftover of last year’s Diwali, in the room.

“He went to sleep in the room at the terrace while we were still having lunch downstairs. He must have taken out the leftover fire crackers,” said the grandmother of Vivekananda Shantilata Padhi.

The house has also suffered severe damage in the explosion, added reports.

Though the exact reason behind the explosion is yet to be ascertained, police are suspecting that some high-intensity explosives might have been stored in the room which led to the massive blast.
 

Other Stories