Cassian Baliarsingh

In a bone-chilling incident, a youth on Saturday allegedly killed a girl by slitting her throat and subsequently attempted to kill himself after she refused to enter into a relationship with him.

In an attempt to save the girl, her friend was also injured in the knife attack by the youth. Later, he also slit his own throat and tried to kill himself after committing the heinous crime.

The incident has been reported from Usapada village under Tikiri police limits in Rayagada district. The deceased girl has been identified as Reema Majhi of Sanamatikona village while the accused has been identified as Rashika Pradhani of Mundagaon village.

According to sources, the accused  desired to enter into a relationship with the girl. But she reportedly declined his proposal that led to the brutal killing, sources said.

The girl died while the accused was rescued and admitted to the local hospital. After preliminary treatment, he was shifted to Rayagada District Headquarters Hospital (DHH). The girl’s friend was also admitted to a hospital with injuries.

According to sources, the girl worked as a daily wager. As usual, she had gone to work. The accused arrived at her work spot and broke out in a fight with the girl. Infuriated, he slit her throat, leading to her death on the spot. Later, he also slit his throat.

“He is a married man and has kids. But, he had kidnapped my daughter and taken her away. But, we managed to rescue her. Since then, he was behind her. Today, he killed my daughter,” lamented the girl’s father.

Narrating the incident, Additional Superintendent of Police Ram Prasad Sahu said, “The accused is married and was stalking the victim, a minor girl. A meeting was earlier held in the village and he was given a warning. Today, the girl had gone to work as labour hand at a house construction. During lunch break, the victim was sitting with her friend when the accused came to the spot and slit the girl’s throat. He later slit his own throat. The girl died on the spot while he was rescued in a critical state and has been admitted to Rayagada DHH. After preliminary treatment, he is being shifted to Koraput Hospital.”