• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Telegram
  • Koo
  • Youtube
  • ଓଡ଼ିଆରେ ପଢନ୍ତୁ
Sharmili Mallick

A woman from Baigadia village under Oupada block of Balasore district has accused her husband and his friend of raping her. 

She has also alleged that her husband cut her hair subsequent to the incident. She has approached the Nilagiri Police Station seeking action against the perpetrators.

Based on the complaint, the main accused has been identified as Dilip Singh, a tractor driver by profession, while his friend happens to be the owner of the tractor.

As per reports, the couple had signed divorce documents before a notary around 15 days ago. Though the woman had earlier abandoned her husband’s house, she came back to him recently and allegedly demanded Rs 5,000 as compensation.

When Dillip refused to give her the money, she approached the Nilagiri Police Station and filed a written complaint against him. Subsequently, police summoned Dilip to the police station where he agreed to pay her the money.

As per reports, though police also tried to convince the woman to live with her husband, she refused.

“Last Thursday at around 8 pm, I was returning from Khantapada market when my husband (Dilip) and his friend took me to a secluded place and raped me. Later, they cut my hair. Police had tried to convince me to go back to my husband but I refused. I had demanded Rs 5,000 as compensation from my husband and he had promised to me pay the money. But I am yet to receive the money from him,” alleged the woman.

Refuting allegations of rape, Dilip said “We went to the police station after a fight on Thursday. She refused to stay with me and demanded Rs 5,000. Me and my friend never kidnapped and raped her, though I did cut her hair. I thought a tonsured head will prevent her from going anywhere and stay with me at my house,” he added.

Sub-Collector of Nilagiri, Harish Chandra Jena said, “I will direct the IIC to launch an investigation into the complaint and ensure strict action against the guilty. Though the woman is yet to file a written complaint, a suo motto case will be registered in this regard.”

Meanwhile, Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Biranchi Kumar Mohapatra said the matter was resolved earlier by the police. “If there is an issue again, the woman can file another complaint with the police,” he said.

Other Stories