Odisha reported online fraud to the tune of Rs 1.28 crore in August this year. The data was released by the Cyber Help Desk of Bhubaneswar Urban Police District (UPD).
The fraudsters managed to swindle more than Rs 64 lakh from the State Capital city of Bhubaneswar alone during the month. However, the officers of Bhubaneswar UPD managed to refund/block Rs 9.21 lakh of the total amount.
As per reports, the cyber cell has received a total of 475 complaints related to online fraud in August. Out of the total calls, 245 were received from Bhubaneswar while 230 from other parts of the State, said the Cyber Help Desk of Bhubaneswar UPD.
As many as 13 cases have been registered in June and 72 mobile numbers were blocked, informed the police.
Here is the monthly summary of the cyber case data as compiled by the Cyber Help Desk, Bhubaneswar UPD for the month of August:-
- Total call received in the month- 475
- Calls received from Bhubaneswar only- 245
- Calls received from other parts of Odisha- 230
- Types of fraud:
- UPI fraud from Bhubaneswar- 104
- Credit/Debit card fraud from Bhubaneswar- 28
- Other calls received- 113
- Total fraud amount details- Rs 1,28,25,184
- Fraud amount from Bhubaneswar- Rs 64,24,705
- Refund/blocked amount- Rs 9,31,537
- Cases registered in the month of June- 13
- Number of cybersafe tickets generated- 72 (numbers blocked)